BLUR

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Its official, I have dust allergies. I spent the whole of yesterday cleaning the first floor of my house and ended up sneezing until half my eyes decided to pop out. I still have to finish the basement and the first floor. Good luck to me. If you see me not completely dead next time, please do NOT forget to congratulate my organs for recovering from all that sneezing.
So lately I’ve been telling cos theta that I’d make a nice little post about my little incident that took place in the American Consulate-Chennai.
I was just looking for the copy of the interview that I had written down somewhere but as it turns out I don’t have one. I don’t remember deleting it but honestly I don’t feel like writing the whole thing down right now but I promised cos theta and now she’ll be furious if I don’t so I will.

SO this was July 16th 2004 —I think.
Dad and I flew into Madras a day earlier and I still remember we ate at a restaurant that served some excellent Malaysian cuisine, I’d show you pictures but I don’t have any. We went back to our hotel and the next day had breakfast (still no pictures) and then we were at the American Consulate well ahead of time. I went into the building with all the panicked half dead wanna-goto-america-to-do-something-with-my-life people.
Once you go in, you have to go past a security check point where they’d check if you are contemplating killing the CIA Agents in there. Once they confirm that you are not a terrorist and that you are not going to plant a bomb killing half of Chennai they’ll contemplate letting you in.
Then you are at the second phase where they pull out all your documents, your I-20, your passport, photographs, your GRE/SAT scores (or whatever applicable) and all the other documents that are relevant to the Visa you’re applying. All of that will be put in a folder and number put on the folder will be the precise number given to you. Mine was 434 (I think) and I was given a yellow folder which is apparently a VIP folder because of which I was made to wait a good effin 3 hours before I was subjected to my interview.
While I’m at it let me tell you about how careless I was. I took passport size pictures for my interview. And apparently I was stupid enough to take pictures of the wrong size, so I got kicked out of the Consulate, I had to go across the street, take pictures and come back within 30mins after which I got back inside, cut through the line and went straight to the interview room (if you could call it that) So I would suggest you pay some attention to details, like the size of the photograph requested.

I waited for my interview for 3 fucking hours after which I was in a state where I didn’t even care if I got the damn visa. Finally I heard my number and went to a window, where he asked me a bunch of stupid questions. And he blabbered something to me, smiled and asked me to go.
After which I smiled and then I wondered weather I had a visa or not, because I understood what he said throughout the interview but in the end when he smiled and asked me leave I drew blanks, I didn’t understand a word he spoke. I just smiled and left WITHOUT my passport. Which means that he should’ve kept my passport so it could be stamped and sent back home, RIGHT?
After getting out of that damned building there was some kissing and hugging and celebration after which I told dad I wasn’t sure if I had the visa. Bottom line is if they kept your passport then your getting your visa BUT BUT BUT I’m special. I already had a valid visiting visa which was valid for 5yrs, so dad and I sat dumb struck trying to figure out if he kept my passport to give me a student visa or to cancel the existing valid visiting visa.
If your visa was rejected then they’d give you a paper with the date stamped on it and the reason for rejecting you on the basis of a Potential Immigrant or whatever. So we looked at the file I had taken inside and searched if he had given me a rejection paper and I had some how missed it, but we found none so we decided to take comfort from it and just wait for the passport to get home. I got the passport a couple of days later and obviously my visa was there.
So here’s what I have to say to people who might be applying for a visa and for some really insane reason reading my blog.
1—Get the right type of photos
2—Don’t panic.
3—Watch a lot of English movies if your week in catching the American accent.
4—Dress comfortable, I wore a jeans and a t-shirt. The last thing you wanna worry about there is how you look. Just look good and feel comfortable. It will be slightly cool inside, take a jacket along if you don’t find it cold then just leave it on your chair while you go meet the horrible person whose gonna interview you. Take my word for it, no one would be interested in stealing you’re jacket, even if it’s GUCCI.
5—This is the most important one, make sure you greet that guy, something semi casual. A good morning or a smiley hi would be nice.
If any of you have questions I’ll answer them but I’d have to charge you a couple hundred dollars.

Photo Diary entry 3 (or was it 4?)
These were the stairs we had to take to go down to the train/tram that we had to take to go to the top of the arch. These stairs remind me of this horrible movie called “The Texas Chainsaw massacre”

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Yes, Yes I know that looks like a toilet seat and my sister asked me why I took a picture of the toilet seat. It’s the tram that you’d have to sit in on your way up. That little box which could make a claustrophobe die will seat 5 people. 2 on either sides of the chair that looks like a toilet seat.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

18 Comments:

  • well does bring back memories of my interview. Supposedly drew the tough nut of the counsellors, just my luck. Everyone was getting visas right and left of the person I was supposed to go to, and it seemed like she was the one incharge of rejections. Had the longest interview standing, halfway through my mouth dried up. Had a glup of water and continued. For all the paperwork I took along , she dint ask for even one, except my passport and I-20. The interview was tough, but I sort of enjoyed it coz everything was very relavent to the visa. To make a long story short, ended up getting the visa. And since I went to Delhi, called up a friend and had a blast.

    The stairs remined me of the subway in Chicago. and the second photo looked like a space module.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:01 PM  

  • Yaaaaaaaaawwwwn.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:10 AM  

  • guess who's baaaaaaack!!

    anyway. do me a favor here and on our photoblog.
    load the pictures in the medium size, not the large size. large is too big to see in one frame. if i want to see a larger version, i'll click on it to enlarge. okay?

    By Blogger Sita, at 9:29 AM  

  • Dahling!! >:D<
    Thanks a ton.. and I sort of liked the staircase pic. It's got a kinda' intrigue-feel to it. :P

    By Blogger Cos Θ, at 8:39 PM  

  • sita: then why isnt you ass online????? yeah heard the news, couldnt have been more proud of u 2.

    cos: :D wogie dogie

    reality: :) could you do me a favour and kill crapper???

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:23 PM  

  • what news? heard what?
    abbe oh!
    i'm sure chickoo didn't tell you then..
    damn.

    By Blogger Sita, at 10:30 PM  

  • Kill Crapper??? Nahhh, I don't think I want to deprive you of the pleasure of doing that with your own hands.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:25 AM  

  • reality: no re, i can torture him mentally but to actually kill the guy requires a guy. Since your one of my few male readers and you somewhat even like my blog- I've chosen you to do the honors

    kill him re, I cant stand him anymore.


    sita: then u freaking come online no, i'l be online around 11:30pm ur time. come

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:20 AM  

  • Ok. I will try.

    An Open Letter to Arcane Crapper:

    Dear Mr.Crapper,
    I have been requested by "blur" to kill you. But since I have neither the expertise nor the experience to accomplish the task at hand, I request you to do me a favour. Please Die Mr.Crapper.
    Thank you for your cooperation,
    Reality.

    p.s: I was reffering to "Arcane Crapper" the idea not the person behind it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:36 AM  

  • Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

    LOL.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:03 PM  

  • crapper: die no re, please, no one is even killing you, please die baap

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:20 AM  

  • I'll hound you even beyond the realms of your/my deaths(s).

    Peace.

    ***Evil Smirk***

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:30 AM  

  • That's it.
    Blur: I am on the job.
    AC: Watch out dude, there is someone hounding you.

    *Focussed*

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:01 AM  

  • *stares him to death*
    *gets up, smirks and does that hand clapping thing at a job well done.*

    see? not difficult at all.
    crapper's dead.
    piece of cake.

    disclaimer: any further appearances by the arcane crapper is not possible, and therefore i will not claim responsibility of this. you are to assume he is back from the dead because even they don't want him. on this note, i will take leave, assuring myself of all legal protection.

    (tempted to add "yours sincerely", just to add effect.)

    By Blogger Sita, at 11:34 AM  

  • oh and btw.
    haha! even reality's not perfect!
    isn't "remind" how you spell remind and not "remined"?
    "remined" makes it sound like someone regrew the diamond someone lost, and it was re-mined in some backwater middle of nowhere type place in Africa.
    i'm sorry, please don't mind me. (pun not intended.) i'm just rambling of no sleep at all.

    By Blogger Sita, at 11:37 AM  

  • Well, who said that Reality is perfect. It isnt. But the beauty of the fact is that you have no other choice but to accept it or live in denial, which infact are both crappy choices.

    And like Blur got her thing for typos, I am dyslexic when it comes to spellings.

    P.s: That particular word was a typo, missed a "d".Supposed to be reminded

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:24 PM  

  • **********status report************

    Location: From the Realm of death.

    Arcane Crapper is in the "Q" at the gate. Some remnant of his might be still floating around in cyber space. Please ignore.

    Next report when the status changes.

    ***********************************

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:32 PM  

  • awww *hugs* i love you guys

    taking all that trouble to kill carpper :)

    crapper you bloody better be dead these people are kinda determined and all :D

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home